Friday, July 8, 2011

Finding Myself Some Quiet Time

"I consider myself a pretty social person, but I’ll admit I need my “alone” time – those periodic hours away from everyone and everything when I can concentrate on my own thoughts."


If you're like me you are always running in a million different directions and sometimes getting a bit overwhelmed. I have three kids, am a single mom and work on several business projects at once. Each day, I do what I can to stay motivated, optimistic, try to keep positive energy around me and also find alone time to renew my thoughts with some nurturing solitude. Researchers suggest that alone time—not loneliness, but intentional solitude—is a crucial resource that too many of us are missing.

We are constantly surrounded by people (business, social, friends, family, children) and if you think about it, even the time we spend online communicating via email, direct messages, IM, updating statuses or commenting on posts. We live totally accessible with constant online conversation. Staying connected at all times is the addiction of the 21st century, so, instead of taking time to find a quiet oasis; to reflect and renew ourselves, we are filling up whatever spare time we have with noise, facebook and twitter.

I found that grabbing some time for myself and a bit of seclusion, even if just for an hour is extremely effective in helping me get back on track when the mound of things on my desk is towering or my "to do" list has three pages. I'm not always great about finding alone time but I am learning to be better and I thought I would share a few ways, that you can set aside more quiet time for yourself:

...Decide to work offline. Unplug the cables to prevent temptation of checking emails or facebook messages. The time you save from wasteful internet usage will be more time you have available for very special things you really want to do.

...Close the door when you are working or if you can do it, go to the library so you can concentrate on work without distractions. Your phone will be off and you will be amazed how quickly you get through what you need to do without the "tools of technology" in your hands.

...Wake up earlier and just sit. It's summertime. Grab a chair and a cup of coffee or some fresh fruit and take 15 minutes to sit outside and enjoy the sounds of the morning. Use the time to process your thoughts so that you can focus better during the day.

...Set Aside Interaction Time. It’s better to toggle between meditative solitude and complete social engagement than to be constantly half-engaged, half-detached. Set aside time to completely focus on family or friends.

...Drive time noise... I love listening to music, however,silence can be better for focusing your thoughts. Turning off the news, cd or radio for a few minutes during your commute can give you a chance to think.

...Home and no electronics time! Television and the internet can be a substitution for social life. How many hours do you spend in front of the tube each week? Turn off the television when you are alone and use that time for "you". Take a bubble bath, give yourself a pedicure or if you want a little company, read a book to your daughter or son instead of watching the same rerun for the fourth time. That time will certainly lead you to more productive and better reflective time.

...Before bed, take a few minutes to sit and focus on your breathing. Shift all your awareness into your breathing, the muscles in your body or the various sensations around you while you sit in silence and feel the air flow in and out of your lungs. Sometimes I use it to visualize taking in good energy with the new breaths I take, and exhaling stale or negative energy that has been inside me that day.

We use alone time to process our relationships and recalibrate our sense of self. In solitude, we return to center. Solitude reminds us of what is essential to our identity. It inspires deeper deliberation and allows for a chance to take inventory and hear the messages that fill our day.

“It is only when we silent the blaring sounds of our daily existence that we can finally hear the whispers of truth that life reveals to us, as it stands knocking on the doorsteps of our hearts.” – K.T. Jong

No comments:

Post a Comment