Monday, August 9, 2010

Believing in Your Own Abilities!

‎"There is no limit to what you can imagine. And with commitment, with effort, what you can imagine you can become. Put your mind to work for you. Believe that you can do it. The world will tell you that you can't. Yet, in your belief you'll find the strength, you'll find the ability, to do it anyway." Ralph Marston

If I listened to everyone who said that this was no time to start a print publication with the economy the way it is, I would have never proceeded with my passion to publish Southern New England Woman. The critics were everywhere. "Advertising money is down" they said. You won't be able to print a "high quality" magazine because "it's too expensive". How did they know that? Did they already try it themselves? Not to my knowledge...

In my opinion, it turned out to be the best time to start a publication. You have to believe that things are always going to get better and to leverage yourself in the best position possible for when they do, to me, was the key to making Southern New England Woman work. Being a "how" thinker gets alot more accomplished than being an "if" thinker. That and treating people with respect and a personal commitment to do your best.

I have been fortunate in a way that I am most grateful for my own persistence. I have created several long term businesses. A photographer and makeup artist for seventeen years having no official training or formal education in the industry. Pageant director, trade show and event producer for fifteen years, also with no official training or formal education in the industry and now publisher of this fabulous new magazine. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, what I
"am" trying to do is explain to people that it "can" be done. You can create your dream job if "you-yourself", have the will to do it.

It's exciting to take something, an idea, a thought, and build it. If I didn't believe in myself and go forward to pursue my dreams, where would I be? What would I be doing? The one question I asked myself in every case was "what's the worst thing that could happen if I did this". My answer was "as long as my family was safe and healthy, it would only cost me a life experience if it didn't work". To me that was a win - win!

I've learned alot by doing my own research and step by step learning every aspect of the industry from the ground up. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Don't be anxious to get things done quickly. Success takes time, effort and the fortitude to put your heart and soul into what you really want. When you rush to get things done fast, or just to get them "done", you prevent yourself the advantage of utimatelty accomplishing much greater things and missing out on the many life experiences creating something new has to offer.

I guess the point of this post is this...
I hear from many people on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, etc., who ask questions like, I have a business idea but I don't know if I should go forward. Not sure how to proceed with 'my" dream job. I lost my job and am looking to start my own business but I am not sure if I can.

Now, I certainly don't consider myself a professional business coach in any respect, however, if I could give one piece of advice that is as important as anything else, it would be this. Ask yourself, what "your" passion is, what can "you" do to learn everything you can about your industry of choice and... "what is the worst thing that could happen if you try"?

I love this quote: Real confidence comes from knowing and accepting yourself, your strengths and your limitations. I was once afraid of people saying, "Who does she think she is?" Now I have the courage to stand and say, "This is who I am."--Oprah Winfrey

No comments:

Post a Comment